The Quest for the Amulet of Destiny

by Moriah Leila

I'm not sure if this is the end of chapter two or not. But this is all I have written for now, so we will see how the flow goes. Critique away, I am always open to improvement!! Thanks!

Carefully, Amarie stood up her bow clattering to the forest floor. Amarie cursed herself for not being more attentive. The cool steel of the Elf’s sword pressed against her throbbing pulse in her neck. Her fingers itched to unsheathe her own sword but Amarie knew it was futile. Judging by his stature, arrogant nature, and warrior clothing this was one High Elf Amarie did not want to mess with.

“State your business here,” the Elf barked his violet eyes boring into hers.

Amarie’s scalp tingled and she realized he was trying to read her mind. Smiling, she openly thought, Go ahead. Slice my throat.

It pleased her immensely to see the startled look briefly flit across his aristocratic face. “State your business woman!” The blade pressed harder against her tender flesh.

“Who wants to know?” Amarie struggled to keep her mind void of any thoughts.

“What are you hiding?” The stranger demanded, his lip curling in an ugly snarl. Amarie thought of the package hidden in her pack and chastised herself for leaving Mystic tied up by the stream. Almost instantly she realized her mistake cringing at her own traitorous thoughts.

“You have the package?” He sounded disbelieving.

Amarie saw him visibly relax, although he kept his sword on her throat, but it was enough for Amarie to unsheathe her own sword. Happily, she momentarily rejoiced to see the surprise in his eyes as her blade pressed against his neck. “Seems we’re both stuck.”

“Seems that way.” Amarie thought she saw the flicker of a smile tug at his lips.

“Why don’t we start off with a simple introduction?” Amarie suggested.

“I already know who you are.” Amarie was disgusted by the smug look on his face. “You’re right, I really am a conceited bastard.” He said as a corner of his mouth raised in a crooked smile.

“Okay,” Amarie had to exert a bit of energy to keep her anger under control, “Why don’t you tell me who you are?”

“Captain Kato of the Kaysheek Army. I believe you have a package for me.”

“Sorry Captain, but you are sadly mistaken.” Amarie refused to lower her weapon and she doubted Kato would lower his.

“Were you not instructed to deliver a package to the kingdom of Kaysheek?” It was more a statement than a question.

“More or less,” Amarie conceded.

“Well as a representative of King Adalfuns I am required to take said package.”

Amarie knew she could’ve given him the package. It would have been off her hands and she could return home without hardly breaking a sweat. But how could she really trust this Elf? He wore no shield of arms, he could be lying about his identity. Furthermore, Amarie had committed herself to deliver the package to the Princess Moriah and no one else. If anything, she was stubbornly persistent to finish what she started. “I wasn’t instructed to deliver the package to just any representative.”

“Who then can relieve you of this cargo?” His voice was edged with irritation. Amarie rather enjoyed having the power to rub him the wrong way. “Getting on my nerves is a warped sense of control my dear.”

Amarie glowered at him, forgetting that he had an inside view at her most secretive thoughts. It almost made her feel dirty like he was violating her. “My specific instructions were to inform the guard Miccah that I had a delivery for the Princess Moriah. From there I can speculate that I am to give the package to the Princess.”

“Miccah?” Kato demanded seeming a bit upset at the news. He quickly recovered. “I am afraid you won’t be able to deliver the package to the Princess.”

“Why?” Amarie demanded starting to get frustrated with this conversation. It really felt quite pointless to be standing here in the middle of the woods with swords drawn and no real answers yet given.

“She was kidnapped by the evil Sorcerer Abaddon just a week ago,” Kato explained.

Amarie shut her eyes feeling disappointment and resentment. She had been sent on a wild goose chase. “So why are you out here harassing me when you could be out there rescuing her? Seems silly for a Captain to be waiting for a package.”

“I couldn’t agree with you more,” he surprised them both. “But this was the assignment I was given so here I am. And I am not harassing you. You are the one being obstinate.”

“You know I could think a lot more clearly without your sword cutting into my throat.” Amarie stated her arm starting to get sore from being in the same position for so long. But there was no way she would give in before he did.

“Likewise,” Kato replied not moving an inch.

“Ah you both are being ridiculous!” Besnik hollered from the bushes, scaring both Kato and Amarie. “Listen you both drop your swords at the same time. I’ll even count to three.”

“I’ll do it if you will,” Amarie stared at the unflinching Kato.

“Count to three Besnik,” Kato replied not taking his eyes off of Amarie.

“Okay, one, two, three.” Neither moved. “Oh for the love of Kaysheek! You two are the most stubborn fools I’ve ever met.”

“Okay, okay,” Kato shouted over his friend. “Count to three again. Seriously this time.”

“Seriously,” Amarie agreed.

“One, two, three.” Besnik held his breath as the two lowered their swords and took a quick step back from each other. “Thank goodness that idiocy is over.” He mumbled under his breath.

“I heard that,” Kato and Amarie said in unison.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:05 am
jclifton wrote a review...

as with poetry, i am a pretty harsh critic of fantasy, because neither type of writing really appeals to me, and both are usually pretty unoriginal (especially the latter). so please bare in mind that i am already very biased against your genre when reading my review. and also, if i get too harsh, don't take it personally, and know that i really don't want to trash anybody's work because i admire anyone with the guts to put their work out there.

lets start with the title, "Amulet of Destiny." now, maybe among fantasy readers its no big deal, but to me its pretty cheesy. it sounds like the title for the next installment in the Legend of Zelda series, following "The Phantom Hourglass." yeah.

anyway, nothing exciting here... we have an elf (i guess High Elves are evil in this particular fantasy world) with his sword on the throat of what i assume is our heroine.

"Carefully, Amarie stood up, her bow clattering on the forest floor" the sentence should read.

"pressed against her throbbing pulse in her neck" can't be the best way to write that line. Perhaps you were thinking something like, "As her pulse throbbed, the cool steel of the Elf's [should that be capitalized?] sword pressed against her neck." ?

Next grammatical error: sentence should read, "arrogant nature, and warrior clothing, this was one High Elf Amarie did not want to mess with." Also, you might want to replace "mess with" with a better, stronger phrase.

The rest of the story is riddled with simple grammatical errors, mostly the lack of necessary commas.

I know adverbs are easy to use, but some sentences can be severely weakened by overuse: "Happily, she momentarily rejoiced...". plus, if she's rejoicing, why do we need to use the word "happily" in the first place?

Moving on. The line, " 'getting on my nerves is a warped sense of control' " makes very little sense to me. plus, it isn't well established who is saying that line, making it even more difficult to decipher. clarity is extremely important, because while you know what you mean, the probability is that no one else will understand as well as you.

the whole dialogue is rather cliche, but so is the story, being of the fantasy genre. however, i think it is well written (for a story of that genre), despite the many grammatical errors and the several examples of weak writing

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers